Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral: Introductions3-axis CNC in Germany
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

3-axis CNC in Germany

Hello MASSO Community

and greetings from Dresden, Germany. We would like to present you our current CNC project. It is a modified CNC from 1998
that had a Siemens Sinumerik control and now uses a MASSO G3. We bought it from a school near our town for a very decent
price in terms of the components installed. Involved are my good friend Carsten (metal cutting mechanic) and myself, Simon
(electronic engineering technician).
In our workshop we mainly work with wood. We can turn, saw, grind, drill and now also mill.

Axes:

We are reusing the three SIMOSTEP 1FL3061 Drive Units.
Motors are:

2x Berger Lahr VDRM3910/50 LWC (Y-, Z-Axis)
1x Siemens 1FL3061-0AC31-0BG0 (X-Axis)
Those are 3-phase-stepper motors. Seemingly rare.

The IDC connector on the side of MASSO is used to run the 5V optical couplers of the SIMOSTEP Drive Units
directly with the 5V TTL signals.

Axis X Y Z
Pulses per Revolution 10k 10k 10k
Distance per Revolution 125mm 125mm 50mm
Resolution 0.0125mm/step 0.0125mm/step 0.005mm/step
Gearing mechanical(10:1); tooth belt(48:22) mechanical(10:1); tooth belt(48:22) ball screw(5mm pitch); tooth belt(1:1)
Feedrate 5000mm/min 5000mm/min 1200mm/min
Acceleration 350mm/sec² 350mm/sec² 300mm/sec²
min. Travel -1155mm -745mm -165mm
max. Travel +65mm +65mm +65mm
yet to come(Acceleration must be re-evaluated after installation of the 25kg spindle), Backlash, etc.)

Spindle:

We are simply using the existing hand router that we inherited. As wood is already our preferred medium it works fairly well for now.
In the midterm we want to use a 4.5kW BT30 Air CNC Spindle with ATC support.

Currently, a spindle conversion is taking place from the inherited router to a 4.5kW air-cooled spindle. When the conversion is complete this section will be updated.

Work Area:

1220mmx810mmx230mm (X,Y,Z)

Safety Concept:

Our safety circuit uses a PNOZ Z Category 2 EN 954-1 relay. This simplifies our safety circuit enormously as each
of our axes uses a SCHMERSAL limit switch at both ends. All these end positions are independent of our soft ends.
In series with our emergency stop next to the monitor and the handwheel, they trip the relay and disable the drives
and signal emergency stop to MASSO. If the emergency stop is activated, the cause must be eliminated and the
emergency stop must be acknowledged at a button on the control cabinet. Then the actuators and MASSO are both
released again via the relay. Acknowledging the emergency stop is quite common in our special machines.
The two door sensors (left and front) are also wired in series and connected to the door sensor input.

Future Projects:

-Spindle
-Toolsetter
-Automatic Tool Changer
-Vacuum table, 4x pneumatic cylinders for fast workpiece alignment, integration into our central suction, fourth and fifth axis 😉

Uploaded files:
  • overall.jpg
lindsay59 and MaxQ have reacted to this post.
lindsay59MaxQ

Very nice! Welcome to the community! This must be the most detailed introduction post of them all! German Engineering, even while just saying hello - awesome!

FYI, both of my machines use a 4KW air cooled spindle and they go through pretty much any wood like a hot knife through butter. Have fun!

swa has reacted to this post.
swa

Thank you @keymont for the kind words! We are also happy about the swift integration of MASSO into our system.
If there are any further questions about our project, please write to us. The project allows us both to escape a little
from our daily work. Hence our affinity for wood 😉

In this forum, it seems that quite often a new thread is opened on the same topic because the machines are very different.
Therefore, we will probably announce our progress mostly as a change in our first post.

Here is a brief overview of the upcoming spindle rebuild. The choice fell on a RATTM Motor RTMD120X103-30-24/4.5 BT30 380V 400-800Hz 12000-24000rpm 3,6-4,3Nm 4,5kW(S1) 5,4kW(S6) spindle and a 5.5KW Fuling Brand DZB300 Series VFD.
Initial startup is following @CNCnutz's example in the disassembled state without MASSO using a potentiometer. If so far all functions are present the installation takes place. Afterwards we report of course on the first results.

At the top right of the first picture, you can catch a glimpse of the possibly following 4th and 5th axis.

Uploaded files:
  • 2021_04_10_18_08_14.jpg
  • 2021_04_10_18_08_20.jpg
JHO and MaxQ have reacted to this post.
JHOMaxQ

I will be following this build, i'm thinking about this exact spindle some time now.

Having an ATC spindle would be so nice, it's much more efficient and productive.

are you going to place some sort of review?

Hello SWA,

Should the cable that carries the 3 phase power from a VFD to a motor always be a shielded cable? I ask because I recently wired a VFD to power my manual knee mill and I used unshielded SOOW 10/4 AWG. It is however completely contained in flexible metal conduit which is grounded to the mains. Will this cause interference for my Masso-controlled CNC plasma table?

I like your build and look forward to any updates.

Thank you kindly,

Anthony

Uploaded files:
  • VFD-Enclosure.jpg