Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Build Log - 3DTek Heavy Mill/Gecko G540/2.2KWSpindle

I used the Masso Wizard to calibrate X,Y and Z.  Very nice feature, made it easy and fast.

Time for setting up HOME position and travel limits.  I watched the Masso video on homing a few times.  I wanted to set Home as the left rear so I could load stock from the front, so I more or less followed the video and set the Y as 800mm.  Everything worked great except once the X and Y home switches clicked, it proceeded to work it's way to the front, reading 800mm. I spent hours changing settings around this way and that, but could not make it stay at the back. Now I've set Home as front left and X and Y are happy.

Z on the other hand, not so good.  When I initiate Home, Z goes up to the limit switch and pauses, then pulls off up instead of down.  Two smashed limit switches later, I'm doing all tests half way down the Z travel and manually closing the switch to see what happens.  U goes up, but D has Z-Limit warning and won't move.  I'm pretty sure I've set things wrong in Masso, but not having luck working it out. I thought Z zero would be 0 and the bottom would be -100mm, but not sure.

Arie, what settings do you have in Masso for Home and for the Z axis?  Your settings might give me a clue on what I've done wrong.

Cheers,

Mike

Success with Homing. After a few hours experimenting with settings and reversing the Z stepper wiring, I finally came up with the right settings.  For Homing Settings I'm using 0.000mm for X and Y, and 93.000mm for Z.  In the Z Axis setting I have 90.000mm for the Travel Maximum. Now when Homed, the Machine Position shows Z=93mm and when I jog down, the relative position heads negative and soft limits before bottoming out (No tool fitted). Yay!

Quote from aussiemike on January 13, 2019, 7:24 am

Success with Homing. After a few hours experimenting with settings and reversing the Z stepper wiring, I finally came up with the right settings.  For Homing Settings I'm using 0.000mm for X and Y, and 93.000mm for Z.  In the Z Axis setting I have 90.000mm for the Travel Maximum. Now when Homed, the Machine Position shows Z=93mm and when I jog down, the relative position heads negative and soft limits before bottoming out (No tool fitted). Yay!

I can't offhand remember exact settings used for Homing. But I had to change Homing to right rear, because of space constraints in front left when we fitted the dust extraction hood. Now machine X & Y 0,0 point is several cm short of physical front left stops. The Z home position is top and set to zero and downward travel is negative. When you start machining the WCS will reset X,Y&Z 0,0,0 point.  You will also find that you may have to adjust the position of your spindle depending on the job and tools used.

Regards,

Arie.

Ah, yes. I didn’t think of the dust hood. I’ll add it to the list. I’m used to right rear as home with my laser engraver and rotary engraver both homing there. Still a way to go.

cheers Mike

Time to get the spindle working.  After successfully setting up Home position and calibrating travel in all directions I turned my attention to the spindle. I wired in a 12VDC car accessory socket aka cigarette lighter socket for the spindle coolant pump. Hooked up the hoses and pump, filled the bucket with water and switched on. Success.

I powered up the spindle. Nothing. The display indicated 15000 revs, but no action from the spindle. Double checked the wiring and found I’d missed one wire between the Masso and the VSD. I quickly installed the wire and powered up again. Success... except it spun the wrong way. I reversed two of the spindle wires and now have correct direction.

Eager to make chips, I clamped down a temporary spoil board and secured a “work piece” to it. Next I used the conversational g-code to create a rectangular pocket. After fitting a 6mm endmill and manually zeroing Z axis to the top of the work piece and X Y to the bottom left, guessing speeds and feeds, the big moment was here. After watching countless YouTubes of broken end mills from excessive feed, I half expected to break mine. Instead I excitedly watched as my Heavy Mill perfectly executed the g-code Line by Line until I saw before me the pocket. How thrilling!

I have plenty to do before I start building projects, but this was definitely worth celebrating with good glass of Shiraz.

Quote from aussiemike on January 29, 2019, 12:03 pm

I have plenty to do before I start building projects, but this was definitely worth celebrating with good glass of Shiraz.

Good to hear.

Don't forget to post a video of the mill working!!!!

Regards,

Arie.

Good idea, Arie.

I’ll get it happening this week.

Cheers,

Mike

It's a rough bit of video. My first cut on the Heavy Mill. Still much to do, but a fun moment all the same.

https://youtu.be/LGUCycT3LO8

Quote from aussiemike on February 14, 2019, 4:34 am

It's a rough bit of video. My first cut on the Heavy Mill. Still much to do, but a fun moment all the same.

https://youtu.be/LGUCycT3LO8

Awesome!

Add it to the CNC videos thread 🙂

https://www.masso.com.au/forums/topic/cnc-videos-show-me-what-you-got/

Grease Nipples. Back when I did the initial assembly I forgot to install the grease nipples. There were no specific instruction to do so, but inferred in the drawings and videos. It’s a bugga to fit afterward. Partial disassembly of each bit.

I thought I’d be clever and bought straight nipples. They’re an unusual thread, M6 0.75 so had to order in. My plan came unstuck when I found the grease gun wouldn’t seat properly and leaked grease from the nozzle. I painfully fitted the original angled nipples and they they worked perfectly... except. I couldn’t get the nozzle in far enough to reach the the x axis nipples.

A bit of google research lead me to a needle point grease gun attachment. Now I can properly grease all the bearings. If I found that before I could saved all the work to swap over from the straight nipples. Oh well.