Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Build Log - 3DTek Heavy Mill/Gecko G540/2.2KWSpindle

It’s been quite awhile since I added any updates on my build, so here is where I’m at now.
I changed over the homing  micro switches to proximity switches I found on eBay for $6ea. I’m only using the three homing switches and discarded the hard limit x and y as Masso doesn’t seem to use them with soft limits doing the job.

I now have a tool setter near the front left and use a corner x,y,z zero setter I found online for about $90AU. Once I set this up after multiple views of the relevant CNCNutz video, I love this feature.

Inspired by Peter from CNCNutz, I bought a pendant from Masso. For a long time I couldn’t see the point in a pendant. The keyboard worked fine, right? How wrong could I be! I love this thing. It worked perfectly out of the box, and with a minor change to the EStop wiring everything works perfectly.

The next inspiration came from Arie(Breezy) to install some switches to initiate Home, Start, Stop and Rewind. That sure makes life easy, thanks Arie.

Next in the mill(lol), is a touch screen, spindle coolant flow switch and a fourth axis.

I’ve  been slowly getting familiar with Aspire and carving out a few cool things. Pictures to come soon, plus some video.

Mike

Mike,

Good to hear from you again, hopefully things are going good for you with this COVID-19 situation! Wife & I went into self isolation, because of our age (70), before the Bicton Men's Shed decided to close. So I haven't been playing with the Heavy Mill for awhile.

Next in the mill(lol), is a touch screen, spindle coolant flow switch and a fourth axis.

I would put the touch screen to last thing because of the many failures reported in the Touch Screen topic. MASSO have said they are trying source a screen that will work to sell from their shop.

Of the other items spindle coolant flow switch is the most important, like before you get into a lot of machining, nothing worse than blowing up the spindle because the coolant pump failed. The switch saved us at the Bicton Men's Shed when that happened.

For the fourth axis you may have to cut out part of the bed to get enough height, otherwise you will be only cutting small diameter objects on it.

Regards,

Arie.

Thanks, Arie,

We’re doing the antisocial distancing. Maree teaches primary which is not much more than babysitting for now. Most of my work is solitary, so don’t see people much anyway.

I have the flow switch, just have to hook it up.  I also have the fourth axis and yes it doesn’t fit under gantry. I’m thinking how to tackle it. I have the mill set up on a steel bench, so not simple get depth downward. I was thinking of raising the gantry by fitting an extra 8040 on top of the Y axis giving me the extra 80mm depth. Or build new legs that I can access the space below the bed. I’d like to be able to clamp boards vertically to do through dovetails.

I did see all the problems with touch screens. I ordered a 19” version of the iChawke from AliExpress to see if it works. If it does I’ll add to the thread, otherwise I can use it elsewhere.

cheers,

Mike

Mike,

I ordered a 19” version of the iChawke from AliExpress to see if it works.

Beware that MASSO outputs 4:3 ratio VGA so if you try to stretch it to fit 19:6 ratio, MASSO's drawing of the tool path will be distorted. So you have to use it in 4:3 mode.

Regards,

Arie.

Good to know. Thanks, Arie.

Cheers,

Mike