Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Building CNCrouterparts

Hi-Looking to build a 4x8 CNCRouterParts router. Mainly plywood cuts for stitch and glue small boats and Kayaks. Maybe a teardrop camper and some craft stuff. Ex-controls engineer getting in to CNC. Looking at using a Masso to control the router.

Quote from dsherburn on February 21, 2019, 2:36 am

Hi-Looking to build a 4x8 CNCRouterParts router. Mainly plywood cuts for stitch and glue small boats and Kayaks. Maybe a teardrop camper and some craft stuff. Ex-controls engineer getting in to CNC. Looking at using a Masso to control the router.

Sounds great, That's all on my wish list to build as well.  At the moment I am rebuilding my gantry cause it is not stiff enough, I got some good ideas from JD Squared looks like it can handle all dusty environments. I just didn't realize how much mess the plasma makes and it destroys linear rails. I will have a router and a 15w laser attachment on mine in the future. Pictures of my new gantry design.

Hope you get some good ideas from this web site! from Ross.

https://www.google.com.au/search?biw=1366&bih=625&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=LqbGXJnFAdqR9QO817aYCQ&q=jd+squared+plasma&oq=jd+squared+plasma&gs_l=img.12..0i24l5.7198.10438..14140...0.0..0.81.524.7......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0j0i67j0i30.lzTzhT0NaF4

Uploaded files:
  • Table-3B-1.jpg
  • Table-3B-2.jpg
  • Table-3B-3.jpg
Quote from dsherburn on February 21, 2019, 2:36 am

From memory, they have their own controller and software don't they? I have a mate in the US who has a big rig from them and it's pretty great, when buying a machine new from a company like that I would probably keep ties with them for the aftersale service, they will take to you much more if it's their own controller and not a 3rd party. The Masso is fantastic don't get me wrong! Just might be worth looking at the pros and cons of going third party with a brand new purchase 🙂

CNC Router Parts will sell a plug and play control panel that is very good, but it utilizes Mach 3. I wanted to get a way from that. So, they sell a DIY electronics kit and I just substituted a Masso controller where they would use a smooth stepper to work with Mach. I really am happy with the outcome. Support was never an issue, but I wish they would look at using a Masso in their PNP controller.

How has this build been since? I’m looking at getting the Avid CNC (formerly CNC Parts)PRO6060 using the G3 to replace my Heavy Mill. They use separate Y homing sensors to square up the gantry. Looks like a good function. Did you get Masso to work that way? I like the look of their rotary axis too. Expensive, but a very nice unit. I want to incorporate a vertical table into it to do proper dovetails and finger joints too. There seems to be a number of options for it. Would be good if they partnered with Masso.

Mike