Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral: IntroductionsHello from New Jersey
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hello from New Jersey

Hi, I'm Al and I've been bit by the cnc bug for the last decade or so.

i currently have a CNCROUTERPARTS 2448 machine that's been doing ok for me but it was quite a steep learning curve... and still learning.

my current electronics is a G540 system running off Mach3 on an old pc.

i am looking to build new/upgrade, using my current router to make the necessary parts.

the mechanical parts, seems simple enough.

the electronics, well, i've been meaning to try something different. and then i found MASSO... and i think i'm in trouble.

so with the MASSO G3, the documentation seems fairly understandable, but still have some questions but first one being...

do i still need stepper/servo controllers with the Masso?

i am planning for a 2010 ballscrew on the X (Gantry) Axis and contemplating between R&P or Ballscrew on the Y.

Y axis is approx 1.5m travel.

X axis is approx 1m travel.

it's a small machine and i dont need ridiculous rapids... just need to cut accurately into aluminum.

thanks in advance,

Al

@kinghong1970

Al,

Yes motor drivers are required, just consider MASSO is replacing the PC in your current  setup.

Regards,

Arie.

Thanks for the reply @Arie!

so in essence the Masso G3 or the G3 touch controller takes place of the PC... and the breakout board?

is there a reliable or maybe "better matched" controller that works well with the Masso?

thanks.

Al

@kinghong1970

Al,

Now you are getting me confused.  What are you referring to when you say

is there a reliable or maybe "better matched" controller that works well with the Masso?

MASSO is the controller that takes place of the PC & "controller software" and any hardware (breakout board, ethernet board, whatever) used to connect the PC to the machine, where the machine is all that from the motor drivers, spindle controller onwards and any input generating device (limit switches, probes, auto tool measurement, etc).

All modern drivers and VFDs can be made to work with MASSO.

Regards,

Arie.

@Arie

OMG.... i am confusing myself.

please ignore my previous post... let me do some more reading.

Masso + stepper, need drivers

Masso + servo (clearpath SDSK) am i safe to assume no drivers needed?

thanks again

Al