Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Lathe I am trying to build

I have a lathe that I am trying to make CNC. I bought a unit that has ball screws. It was made to set on the ways of a conventional lathe and have the two axis's. I bought the Masso controller so I didn't need to get another computer. I am trying to use stepper motors and drivers from Long's Motors. I can't get every thing wired up right, so I was wondering if someone could send me info on how to wire everything together. Thanks Jim

Uploaded files:
  • 040.jpg

I am  trying yo build a cnc lathe.I am using stepper motors 34HST 39805-02B2 2.0A 1.8 deg/step 8 wire motors, Wantai DQ 860ma Drivers. I need someone to tell me how to wire can't get the motors to turn. Thanks Jim

I'll see if I can help you out.

Do you have a web site that will provide a wiring diagram? Where did you get them?

Quote from Jim in michigan on December 16, 2019, 12:52 pm

I am  trying yo build a cnc lathe.I am using stepper motors 34HST 39805-02B2 2.0A 1.8 deg/step 8 wire motors, Wantai DQ 860ma Drivers. I need someone to tell me how to wire can't get the motors to turn. Thanks Jim

• 8-Wire Stepper Motors
Some motors are also offered in 8-Wire configurations allowing for multiple wiring configurations depending on whether the motor's speed or torque is more important. An 8-wire stepper motor can be connected with the windings in either series or parallel. Figure 3 shows an 8-Wire stepper motor with both windings of each phase connected in series. This configuration is very similar to the 6-wire configuration and similarly offers the most torque per amp at the expense of high speed performance.

Figure 3: 8-Wire Stepper Motor (Series Configuration)

It is also possible to connect an 8-wire stepper motor with the windings of each phase connected in parallel as shown in Figure 4. This configuration will enable better high speed operation while requiring more current to produce the rated torque. This connection type is sometimes known as parallel bipolar wiring.

Figure 4: 8-Wire Stepper Motor (Parallel Configuration)
Although every stepper motor operates in the same basic way, it is important to understand the difference between each wiring type and when each should be used.

@jim-in-michigan

The above diagram clears it up for me pretty well.

Let me know if you need more help. But the basic principle is that you get to decide if Speed or Torque is what you want the motor to provide. I would recommend going for Torque. The manufacture should provide you with a diagram on how to configure that motor.

If not we should be able to figure out what wires to connect together with some trial and error.

Best Matt

I have stepper motors from Long's motors model 34HST 9085-O2B2 8 wire, colors green,orange,yellow,black,red,blue,brown,white. Right now I think I have them wired in series configuration. I have green,orange together yellow,black together,red,blue together,brown,white together. To do a parallel configuration which wire do I connect together. All the wires coming out of motor are solid colors. Thanks for the help. Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Jim,

Your description sounds like you have it already setup to be parallel.

If it was series connected you would only have two pair of wires connected together and the other wires would be "single".

Regards,

Arie.

Breezy thanks for answering, this is the first try at using one of these forums. I got the masso for my lathe project because I did not want to look for a Pc. Are you in the US or another country? Would be nice to know the time difference.

Quote from Jim in michigan on December 23, 2019, 12:44 pm

Breezy thanks for answering, this is the first try at using one of these forums. Are you in the US or another country? Would be nice to know the time difference.

West coast of Australia, we are 8+ UTC. It's 9:35pm right now.

The Bicton Men's Shed is using a G2 MASSO on a 3DTEK Heavy Mill CNC router.

Regards,

Arie.

Hi Jim,

Sorry i haven't helped much lately. I have been busy with my build and the holidays. Are you still having issues with the wiring?

I'm located in AZ so just a few hours off from you.