Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Masso Link 2 & G3 V4.01 - connection issues

I upgraded my machine controller to 4.01 and installed Masso Link 2.0 on my PC. Occasionally, the Masso and my computer talk and I can transfer files and show status of jobs, but most often the Masso Link software quietly disconnects itself from the controller and sits on a 'Connecting...' screen.

Anyone else seeing this? I'm connecting my Masso to my existing wireless network, is it better to create a 'My MASSO' network?

Also, when transferring a file to the controller, if a file exists with the same name, it doesn't seem to get overwritten. Masso Link reports that the file was sent, but when you look at the code it the controller, it's the old file, not the one I just sent. Again, anyone else seeing this??

-Howard.

Hi Howard,

I did some testing and MASSO link will overwrite the existing file unless you have the file loaded into MASSO at the time of sending.
In this case the file is not overwritten.
Are you trying to replace a file when is loaded onto the MASSO?

When you get the disconnect issue what happens when you go to into the MASSO WiFi page and disconnect then reconnect?
Does that bring back the connection?
Is this a new WiFi setup you have or had you been using WiFi with the previous version software?

My MASSO network can be used if your PC is close to your MASSO controller as the MASSO becomes the WiFi access point and you connect your PC's WiFi direct to your MASSO.
This connection method does not use your normal wireless network.

Cheers Peter

I have gone backwards my old version of my masso was fine never missed a beat.

New version no bueno.  It might connect first off however after that I have to do a power cycle on the machine and computer for it to connect again.  Not ideal.  If I go to the wifi connections I can see it connected to my computer and nothing happens.  I can see it connected in the wifi and networking section but the software just wont connect.

I have tried everything I can think of.  Is it better to have the random hardware address set to on, off or random.  I would have thought that off would be the go as you cant set an IP address in the Masso?  or am I wrong with that.

Super irritating.

Has any one found a work around.

Oh I just remembered the wifi setup tab on the F2 screen. just recreating the connection on the Masso will see what happens

EDIT: been sitting waiting for quite a while "setting up" how long should this take?

Uploaded files:
  • Masso-network.jpg

Here we go all up and running. two power cycles of the router no changes to my computer and we are running.

Uploaded files:
  • masso-link-running.JPG
Quote from CNCnutz on February 6, 2021, 1:13 pm

Hi Howard,

I did some testing and MASSO link will overwrite the existing file unless you have the file loaded into MASSO at the time of sending.
In this case the file is not overwritten.
Are you trying to replace a file when is loaded onto the MASSO?

When you get the disconnect issue what happens when you go to into the MASSO WiFi page and disconnect then reconnect?
Does that bring back the connection?
Is this a new WiFi setup you have or had you been using WiFi with the previous version software?

My MASSO network can be used if your PC is close to your MASSO controller as the MASSO becomes the WiFi access point and you connect your PC's WiFi direct to your MASSO.
This connection method does not use your normal wireless network.

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply.

I cannot disconnect the Wifi at the machine, once the machine has been homed and the Estop cycled. If I press the 'disconnect' button, literally nothing happens. Status still says 'Connected'. I need to restart the controller to make any changes to this page.

Also, it seems that I can sometimes connect when the machine is freshly booted, but as soon as I cycle the estop and home the machine, Masso Link will say it has disconnected (while the machine is moving to home) then I cannot reconnect again until after a reboot of the controller, if I'm lucky.

Also, even if Masso Link 2.0 says it cannot connect, I can still PING the controller from my PC at a command prompt. So, the computer can see it, but it won't connect.

The file overwriting makes sense, I will see if the same behavior is happening here. Thanks for that.

Let me know if you need any more info. These seemingly trivial issues are making this controller unreliable and borderline unusable. I would really like to get these issues resolved so I can get this machine working.

-Howard.

Uploaded files:
  • masso.jpg

Hi,

I’ve been having similar issues since the upgrade, but I also made significant changes, so I’ve been hesitant to report on this until I got all sorted out on the other topics. I HAVE observed the same behaviors described here - inability to connect using MassoLink 2.0, the inability to disconnect wifi at the machine etc.

Since I’ve been working on upgrading the machine, I haven’t run many actual jobs, but so far, the new software has not been very good for me. I’ve experienced seemingly random lockups requiring a power off in order to regain any responsiveness from Masso, I got a Y soft limit error that should not have happened, stopping the job in the middle and some other random things. For now, I’m going to continue to assume that at least SOME of those incidents were the result of upgrading to 5 axis from 3, adding the additional sensor to enable auto squaring etc, all while upgrading to 4.01 and MassoLink 2.0.

I’ll try to do some more experimenting. I have 2 Masso machines and so far only 1 has been upgraded. Maybe that will allow me some additional insight...

Hi @howard_smith @keymont

I can confirm that there is an issue with Wi-Fi on the G3 which causes it to disconnect from MASSO Link and when in this state you cannot disconnect the Wi-Fi from the WIFI screen.
It needs a repower to bring Masso link back on line.

It should not cause any other issues other than the loss of connection to your PC.

We are working to get this Wi-Fi / Masso Link issue sorted.

@keymont
If you get a soft limit alarm that is inexplicable you can start a new topic and post the following information:
I'm happy to have a look.

1. A screen print of the F2 screen at the time of the alarm.
  2. A screen print of the F4 screen at the time of the alarm
  3. A copy of the Gcode file being machined from the flash drive.
  4. A copy of the MASSO printable settings file from the machine at the time of failure.

From this information it should be possible to work forwards and figure out the cause of the soft limit.
MASSO looks ahead so the limit alarm is for something that will happen in the future and not something that is happening now.

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks, but I didn’t save anything when it happened. I wasn’t in the room when it happened either, so I can’t even say that I saw anything. This was also the 1st or 2nd job I ran after upgrading to 5 axis in order to slave my Y axis, which had been just mirroring to 2 stepper drivers prior. I’ll keep an eye on things and make sure that I grab the items you mentioned if it happens again.

mike

If it helps.

I did three hours of machining yesterday over a six hour period.  A lot of idle machine time and as usual mine connected fine at the initial power up and I sent the days relevant files over to the machine and within 20 min it was disconnected.

Trouble free smooth machining no e-stops or other crazy stuff.

As usual I got the disconnected screen on Masso link.  Ignored and kept machining.

At the five hour mark I was closing pages on my computer and I found Masso link had reconnected by itself in the background.  As I had no .NC files to transfer I pulled the tool list and it populated in the Masso link proving the connection was made.

Not sure if this help but a simple observation.