Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

No E-Stop during tool change

It seems like E-Stop doesn't work during tool changes.

I've been trying to debug things and get my tool changer working well, but during an unfortunate incident recently the drawbar didn't release properly, and so I had a situation where the tool was in a holder in the ATC, and still locked in the spindle.

I hit E-Stop, but nothing happened, and so I had to power off the unit 🙁 While portions of the ATC snapped, 3D printed at least, so I can easily make some more 🙂

Could you describe what is connected to your Estop circuit, and how they are wired - it may help with troubleshooting.

Quote from TMToronto on September 13, 2021, 6:16 am

Could you describe what is connected to your Estop circuit, and how they are wired - it may help with troubleshooting.

I have an E-Stop & MPG, wired like this:

The e-stop functions fine all of the rest of the time, so I'm pretty sure that the trigger of the e-stop isn't the issue, but instead the processing during a tool change.

I am certainly not an expert, but have over time have been researching and putting together the electronics components and wiring for my Masso based build.

Just yesterday I finished wiring my Estop circuit. I have the Estop wired as you do as per the document, but now I also have the ES output of Masso connected to my Masso relay. Two separate relays then connect directly to each of my two drivers (ENA pins on my DM860I which controls my new A axis stepper, Estop pins on my MX4660 which controls my X,Y,Z,B axes steppers). This was mentioned as recommended practice so the drivers are immediately disabled when the Estop button is pressed. This might stop the extra processing you mentioned.

I am sure others with more experience will comment on whether disabling drivers might solve the scenario you are describing.

Oh, that's definitely something to look into, thanks.

It feels (without a lot of looking into it) that the e-stop only stops a "large" action, and a whole tool change is one, whereas if you hit e-stop just after the start of it the whole process plays out at the moment. So wiring up that to stop the axes immediately probably won't help 100%, because for instance the umbrella with tools in would continue, or the draw bar open/close, etc..

I am working with a small hobby CNC, without tool changers (yet...), but perhaps the relay could be used to cut power to those other connected devices. From Masso documentation:

• Each relay can be used to control 5 Amp 28VDC or 5 Amp 240VAC load.

Not sure what controls your umbrella ATC or draw bar, but the above relay may work as is.

From what I have read, the Estop should stop all machine motion.

Quote from TMToronto on September 14, 2021, 3:54 am

From what I have read, the Estop should stop all machine motion.

Yeah, exactly, but it seems like it doesn't stop any, until after the tool change is complete.

I read elsewhere on the forum that this is somewhere to report bugs, is there another way?

What powers and controls your tool changer and draw bar currently?

Bugs can be reported using the form on the contact page.

giryan has reacted to this post.
giryan

@giryan

Could you contact MASSO Support on support@masso.com.au

With your serial number, details of your tool changer and which logic you are using in MASSO.

Also your tool changer should be included in the Estop "chain" from MASSO's ES TTL output connection. Use the wiring method shown in our documentation.
https://docs.masso.com.au/wiring-and-setup/setup-and-calibration/e-stop#55CE66RUIA

Regards,

Arie.

giryan has reacted to this post.
giryan