Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Old Plasma table retrofit - Sanyo Denki PY2 amps

The factory where the plasma cutter is located, Covid-19. I don’t know how long that will last so if it’s not urgent I’m taking photos when this pandemic is over.
There are only some parts of the old plasma in my workshop.
The wires are marked with numbers that should match the markings on the connectors.
The first (black) button 1 starts the program and the same function
The red button interrupts the program. These two functions are also on the touch screen
The middle white button only turns on the torch and while it is on below (white) the control lights up.
To the right is the E stop button and the red triangle control lamp if the E stop or one of the limit switches is activated.

If I understood correctly, do you connect it to MASSO? I guess it all connects directly to MASSO.

Quote from darkoford on June 30, 2020, 6:58 am

The wires are marked with numbers that should match the markings on the connectors.
The first (black) button 1 starts the program and the same function
The red button interrupts the program. These two functions are also on the touch screen
The middle white button only turns on the torch and while it is on below (white) the control lights up.
To the right is the E stop button and the red triangle control lamp if the E stop or one of the limit switches is activated.

If I understood correctly, do you connect it to MASSO? I guess it all connects directly to MASSO.

Maybe your machine is different, but the controls on the left turn the 3 phase extractor fan on and off. This is pretty simple, just a standard contactor setup.

The triangle you are right, its e-stop or limit switch alarm which you have to press to reset. This is the safety relay and contactor wiring bit that I cannot figure out. The limit switches and e-stop leads used to plug into the old controller board, I think they need to be hard wired into the safety relay. The other issue is that this is a 24VAC circuit. Ideally I want it plugged into Masso but that's 24VDC. Also, Masso doesn't have a hard limit option, the limit switches would have to be wired into the e-stop circuit in series. I'm also not sure how to wire this into Masso in a way that the reset button would work. Masso is a bit too simple. If an e-stop is hit, ES goes low. All the user has to do is just release the e-stop and ES would go back to high, powering the motors again. The safer option is the way this was wired originally which is e-stop is pushed, safety relay turns off control power and the alarm light turns on, the user has to release the e-stop, press the reset button and make sure the alarm light goes off, then push the start button to power the motors back on. Does your Plasmatome Digisaf have a touchscreen? The thing is 30 years old.....

@masso-support Can you see a way Masso could be wired in like this? All e-stops and limits have dual NC and NO switches, maybe I could wire Masso into the NO switches and create a secondary e-stop circuit while the NC switches are wired into the safety relay? Either that or maybe wire the e-stops and limits into Masso and make the ES output go to a relay that then triggers the safety relay?

The middle white button engages main circuit power (motors), this makes the amplifiers ready (snake animation on the 7 seg LED). It's needed here in case e-stop or limit switches turn the motors off. Currently I'm bypassing this with a switched jumper which is very dangerously hanging off the terminal blocks. Ideally I want to do this myself without having to get an industrial electrician in.

If anyone knows how this is wired, it would be of great help.

Uploaded files:
  • AF4CC1D2-AB5A-40DE-A53D-F00F044C7495.jpeg
  • AB487A07-C2C0-4D36-8732-197448BEFF67.jpeg

Machine is different. E-stop and limit swich = 24V

This is all that is left of the 25 models. The CNCzone has my query for SAF. A user from Yemen has some documentation that did not suit me.

Uploaded files:
  • 20200706_181659.jpg

Yea, everything in that photo is scrap apart from the drive, the motor, the contractor and the fuses.
This is what this one looked like a couple of months ago, before I started ripping the old crap out:

Uploaded files:
  • 58486B8F-7194-41D1-8F41-11074543A221.jpeg
  • 0733ED9A-E077-4F42-A8EF-845FF990A9FA.jpeg
  • 0ED89940-4227-4238-8328-EF037644E6D8.jpeg
  • 10E49D1F-C577-4825-8A86-5679AF461B0C.jpeg
  • 8628C889-DB86-490E-9B3D-96741544B033.jpeg

The components are the same but the layout is different. Only the SAF can do that.

Have tried acquiring a new drive and motor for the z axis to replace the existing brushed DC motor which wad no encoder, just a tach. Got a second hand PY2 amp from China which arrived today and I tried testing it with my Y axis motor. I made sure the parameters were set and turned it on. It started jerking and throwing overload alarms. I may have some parameters missing but I didn't even try to move it. I'm thinking I have a faulty drive but I can't know for sure, I'm not a servoengineer. I'll wait for the Z axis motor to arrive and try again without a load.

@darkoford If it is the drive, would you be willing to sell the PY2 amp you have left?

Don't worry, your servo drive is working. Do you have a "running eight" on the segment display? I had such a problem on the plasma, jumping like a wild horse. 🙂 The problem is in the position search, or the poor contact of the encoder wires.  New assembly requires Reset to BOB.
Did you install a regenerative resistor? 100 Ohms / 50W.
The Z-axis on that plasma is THC, why are you moving it?
I have 2 pairs of Amplifiers and a motor but for now I would not sell. I have to try to run them.

Uploaded files:
  • 0733ED9A-E077-4F42-A8EF-845FF990A9FA.jpeg

@darkoford

Position search?

I can’t reset, that old board is in the scrap bin. Masso is there now. Yes I put a 100ohm 25W resistor like the other drives have.

The Z axis motor was a brushed DC motor moved by the old controller. To get a working Z axis, I need a drive that will talk to Masso. So I bought a used PY2 from eBay and tried testing it with the Y axis motor but it’s jerking. I get the snaking ‘8’ but after a few seconds it jerks, moves a few mm then I get a ‘2’ alarm which is overload.

Uploaded files:
  • 38BEE1C7-BCD4-4517-A78A-FE9DF0B7800A.jpeg

The servo motor encoder is in a position, PY2 remembers the last position of the encoder and MASSO has its own position. A reset is required to sync.

Perhaps to compare the connectors of the plasma encoder and the new PY2 - wire layout.

The 25W resistor was too weak for me, so I used 50W.

The original SAF THC works very well. If MASSO has the possibility of input of a THC voltage divider it should have been used.

Interesting.

The manual mentions clearing the encoder (ECLR) using either pins 35,36 or the remote operator, however this is only for absolute encoder, not incremental. Not sure if it will help, but I will try it.

Also, this doesn't make sense to me because I have unplugged all 3 motors to make extended cables, moved the axis by hand and plugged them back in. The drives didn't need any resets.

I think it might be tuning?