Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumForums: Questions & AnswersProximity Sensor
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Proximity Sensor

I have a FESTO pneumatic cylinder with FESTO SME-8M -DO-24V inductive proximity sensors to detect full open and closed positions.

Wiring is Brown to +ve, Blue to -ve, black signal, when triggered but not connected to MASSO sensor 1 provides a +24Ve signal blue to black and sensor 2 a 18.8V +ve signal blue to black. When connected to MASSO sensor 1 maintains the +24V signal and MASSO confirms a state change, Sensor 2 however drops to 0V signal and therefore MASSO does not confirm a change of state.

I have tried alternate MASSO inputs and all respond the same.

What am I doing wrong. Any assistance will be appreciated as I have been struggling with this for some time.

Hi rossco

MASSO input so not see inputs of 0 volts. You need to install a pull up resistor to turn the input on and the sensor will pull it to 0v which MASSO will see as a change of state.
Please see the documentation on identifying and connecting sensors.    https://docs.masso.com.au/quick-start-guides/homing-sensor-identify

You should be up and running in no time.

Let us know how you get on or if you need more help.
Cheers Peter

Peter:

Many thanks for the prompt reply, I have worked through the sensor matrix and think the sensors are both TYPE 2, ie., before I connect to MASSO

Sensor 1

State +Ve -Ve
Normal 22.9 0
Trig 0 24

Sensor 2

State +Ve -Ve
Normal 17.4 0
Trig 0 18.8

After I connect to MASSO

Sensor 1

State +Ve -Ve
Normal 22.9 0
Trig 0 24

Sensor 2

State +Ve -Ve
Normal 24.5 0
Trig 24.5 0

When connected to MASSO whilst the sensor light activates the signal does not change, not sure what to do I guess I need to buy a new sensor but as these are new I am not confident it will solve the issue.

I am at a complete loss,

Hi rossco

I agree that both test as type 1.
Something is happening when you connect sensor 2 to MASSO. Because the output changes to 24.5v.
You need to troubleshoot this. You need to isolate where the problem actually is. Is it the sensor, MASSO or the wiring.

I know you have done some of these tests but since I don't know exactly how you carried them out, I will ask you to do them in the manner described below.
I've been caught before Assuming things and it is the quickest way to hours of hair pulling that I know. I don't have that much left.

All Measurements are done with respect to MASSO -ve

1. Please disconnect the sensor 2 input and measure the voltage on the MASSO input. It should measure 0v
  2. Please measure the voltage of the sensor output. It should measure 0v assuming it is not triggered.
  3. Connect the sensor output back to MASSO and measure the voltage. It should measure 0v assuming that all other tests measure 0v

Let us know the result of 1,2,3

Cheers Peter

Peter:

Apologies for the delay in response but the tsunami alert on Friday delayed a few projects

All Measurements are done with respect to MASSO -ve

Please disconnect the sensor 2 input and measure the voltage on the MASSO input. It should measure 0v

Correct I get 0 Volts

Please measure the voltage of the sensor output. It should measure 0v assuming it is not triggered.

Correct I get 0 Volts when not triggered and 19.8 Volts when triggered

Connect the sensor output back to MASSO and measure the voltage. It should measure 0v assuming that all other tests measure 0v

Then when I connect to MASSO and the Sensor 2 output remains at 0 Volts for both triggered and non triggered states. I am going to Auckland tomorrow and will get replacement sensor. I assume the sensor is faulty.

Hi rossco

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers Peter

Peter:

It now works, I can put this down to a faulty sensor, just goes to show even new sensors can have issues. Many thanks for the assistance and I expect I will seek further advice from you and the forum.

I have watched most if not all of your videos on your website, great efforts.

Rossco

Breezy has reacted to this post.
Breezy