Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Wanting to convert my ProtoTrak M2 controlled mill to Masso G3 but have some questions

I submitted these questions to Masso support but welcome
any advice those more experienced than myself might also offer.

I have a very nice lightly used Webb 5VK knee mill with a Prototrak M2 3 Axis CNC retrofit. This uses their integrated servo/drivers
for X and Y the Z axis is not powered. It also functions as a DRO and has glass Accu Rite scales on X Y Z.

I plan on purchasing an Elrod Z Axis quill drive from servoproductsco with their smart Z axis option
that uses a Fagor scale for Z. I supply the motor and amplifier for that.

I am very interested in converting this to use a Masso G3 controller but have questions.

1) Could the G3 use the scales and function as a DRO in all 3 axis when used manually?
If not without modification what would be required?

2) Is the controller compatible with the existing X and Y
integrated servo drives and motors from prototrak?

3) Is the controller able to also use the scales for positioning/confirmation from the scales
or is it better to rely on the encoders and use a backlash comp?

4) If I wanted to use both the scales and encoders and have the control use the scales for
(what I assume would be more accurate) positioning is this possible or even desirable?

Any input appreciated.

1) Could the G3 use the scales and function as a DRO in all 3 axis when used manually?

I am not aware of any method to integrate DRO scales with Masso.

The position readout is based on the number of steps that the Masso controller has commanded the axis drives to move due to either manually jogging (screen or MPG pendant) or the G-Code program.

2) Is the controller compatible with the existing X and Y

Are you able to identify the manufacturer / model number of the servo driver? 99% of stepper and servo drivers can be configured to use Step / Direction commands.

3) Is the controller able to also use the scales for positioning/confirmation from the scales or is it better to rely on the encoders and use a backlash comp?

I don't believe you have any option - you are probably going to need to rely on the encoders and use backlash compensation.

bigmark has reacted to this post.
bigmark

Thank you for the helpful replies, Masso replied to me and basically said you are correct.

I was kinda hoping I'd be able to display the scale readings for manual use
but it's not a problem to just add another screen for that.

I will dig deeper into those drives and see if I can get more details for them.