Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Wiring a relay to a pneumatic solenoid for mist coolant

Hi, I'm wanting to wire an air solenoid to a relay input so I can use my mister with my mill. I have this relay, and this air solenoid. I see the diagram listed under the relays section in the documentation, but I don't know how to read electrical diagrams such as that one or how I'd end up wiring my relay/solenoid. Here's how I see it so correct me if I'm wrong: Relay output 4 (tower lights are assigned to 1-3) will go to one of the pins on the relay (I have no idea which one). 24v from PSU powering the Masso goes into whichever pin on the relay is input. Air solenoid positive goes to an output pin on the relay and solenoid ground goes to...any ground? So if you can't tell I'm just mostly confused and unfortunately there aren't any Masso specific videos about this subject online. If somebody could sort of baby step me through it, that would be great lol.

I did this before on an arduino board with the grbl controller. It had 5v, ground, and signal coming from the arduino into the relay, then on the opposite end of the relay a NC connection went to the 24v PSU, and the solenoid was wired to the output(?) and ground of the PSU. IIRC grbl would send an M7 to the board enabling 5v to the relay, enabling 24v to the solenoid and opening it.

Thanks for the help in advance

on the relay can you identify the two pins for the relay coil?

You need to wire one side of the relay coil to lets say Relay output no. 6 on MASSO green connector and the other side of the relay coil to the +24v of the MASSO power supply.

Next when you goto the F1-Setup screen, enter password and select Relay output no. 6, then press the space key and the relay with switch on/off. You can then assign this output as your coolant or mist output.

Could use some advice on wiring a Mac 35a solinoid for my fog buster system.  Not a lot of documentation on power requirements etc.  Anyone else using their Masso to control mist/fluid system?

Uploaded files:
  • 2E99DAF6-7F1A-412F-9DED-D343920C6DCF.jpeg
  • F430CE04-AE09-487B-9195-41CC206C1242.jpeg

could use some advice on wiring a Mac 35a solinoid for my fog buster system.  Not a lot of documentation on power requirements etc.  Anyone else using their Masso to control mist/fluid system?

You need to supply the spec sheets of the equipment that you have for us to provide wiring info. There are too many variables to give you an generic answer. The photo doesn't match what you are requesting help on, also no info on the relay!

Regards,

Arie.

Hi kencnc411

If you have a G3 then you need to use a TTL output as it does not have relay outputs.

This page shows how to connect a TTL relay.  https://www.masso.com.au/masso-documentation/?section=ttl-outputs

Cheers Peter

@masso-support

Peter,

Are these the same relays that are used in the Arduino system with a 5V low draw coil? Or does it have to specify TTL style input for the trigger? I ask this as some listings state both Arduino & TTL inputs.

Like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Channel-5V-Relay-Shield-Module-Board-for-Arduino-Raspberry-Pi-ARM-AVR-CN/231682185473?hash=item35f1559901:g:3w4AAOSwKJRZiSzF

OR this one with optocouplers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Channel-12V-5V-Relay-Module-Optocoupler-Protection-Power-Supply-Arduino-PIC/232106661468?_trkparms=aid%3D1110002%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200116171858%26meid%3D58f3c323e1ab452198da1cb174889979%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D231682185473%26itm%3D232106661468%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

Suggestion:

With the release of the G3 controller you need to break both the forums and documentation library with the G2 or G3 heading to save confusions between the 2. I have an unused 8 channel relay module because of this, as all TTL outputs was not mentioned on the release of the G3.

Thanks

@cncnutz

Does the quick relay voltage test you showed me to use before connecting to Masso apply to the G3 TTL outputs as well?

Cheers, Stephen Brown

@testyourdesign

Yes the process is the same for the G3 as the G2.

Any relay card that can be trigger with a 5 volt input does not draw more than 5mA from the Masso's output and does not send a voltage back to the Masso output will work.

Cheer Peter

@segoman-designs

TTL output is written on the G2 & G3 outputs. It is a standard used on most controllers and is the standard used on computer parallel ports so is very common in the CNC.

The problem with the cards you show is that you cannot tell unless you have the actual card and test it.

An optically isolated card should present no voltage to the Masso input and if it does it is not suitable and isn't optically isolated. Many of these cards use pull up resistors to provide a voltage for a dry contact or switch but in doing this they remove the isolation. Admittedly we do the same by connecting the card to Masso's power supply but with a properly designed card you at least have the choice to fully isolate.

Any relay card that can be trigger with a 5 volt input does not draw more than 5mA from the Masso's output and does not send a voltage back to the Masso output will work.

Cheers Peter